Cheap and low-quality sleeping bag can not only quickly become useless, but also cause hypothermia of your body. Today we will determine what criteria will help you choose a sleeping bag for hiking. When you go camping, gear plays one of the most important roles of the entire journey. A sleeping bag is an important component of every trekking gear outfit. Therefore, many people do a very responsible approach to the choice of their sleeping gear. You need to find equipment that will protect you from mosquitoes, cold temperatures, dampness and create comfortable conditions for a good and healthy sleep.
Temperature condition in the sleeping pole
It is necessary to consider several indicators of temperature when you are trying to choose a sleeping bag. Temperature can be comfortable, minimum and maximum.
- The minimum temperature reading indicates the allowable temperature. However, it cannot be said here that in such a sleeping bag it will be comfortable and warm;
- The maximum temperature indicator tells you that it will not be hot if you cover only with the fabric of a sleeping bag;
- Comfortable temperature setting shows the average temperature value of your bag. This way it will be easier for you to appreciate the real capabilities of this piece of equipment.
The numbers shown on your sleeping bag cannot guarantee maximum comfort. Since the sleeping bag was originally not intended to warm the tourist, but to preserve heat. Thus, if you froze during a day hike or ate insufficient food, the sleeping bag will not be able to heat you.
In order not to freeze in a sleeping bag, warm your body before bedtime. Drink hot tea or coffee, eat a hot meal. You can also warm up, for example, do some squats. So you warm up your body before going to bed, and a properly selected sleeping bag will keep it warm until the morning!
Weight and size of a sleeping bag
When you want to choose a sleeping bag that is right for you, then you should consider several indicators:
- The sleeping bag should be lightweight;
- Look at the temperature readings;
- Pay attention to the time of year when trying to choose a sleeping bag. For different hiking conditions and climates, specific sleeping bags are needed.
When you want to choose a sleeping bag, then look at its filler
Filling a sleeping bag can be of different types, which are very different from each other. Basically, they are divided into two types: natural fillers and synthetic fillers. Synthetic fillers for a sleeping bag are cheaper than natural. In addition, they are not so much wet and dry quickly.
For hiking in the mountains it is better to take a down sleeping bags. They have a very light weight and heat retention property, which is very important when climbing the mountains. It is clear that downy fillers are more expensive than synthetic ones. When buying a sleeping bag, be sure to look at the ratio of feathers and down. The more fluff is present in the filler for a sleeping bag, the warmer and more comfortable you will sleep.
Qualitative sleeping bags contain at least 80% fluff of the total weight of the filler. The rest of the down-sleeping bag is small bird feathers.
How to choose a sleeping bag: dimensions
It is worth remembering that it is necessary to select a sleeping bag according to the parameters that are right for you. Add 15-12 cm to your height when you choose a sleeping bag. So you will have more space to sleep comfortably without stretching your legs and arms.
To a sleeping bag does not take up much space in a backpack, you can use a compression bag. However, you should remember that the storage of a sleeping bag should be carried out unfolded. So you eliminate the problem of caking or rolling filler.
Sleeping bag shape
Usually sleeping bags are divided into 2 types: cocoon and blanket
- The sleeping cocoon has a hood at the base of the head and tapers in the place where the legs are. This form allows you to keep warm. The minus of a sleeping bag is that its shape hinders the movement of a person a little. This type of sleeping bag is designed for long trips and hiking in the mountains;
- Sleeping bag blanket is suitable for family holidays and short trips. Such a sleeping bag creates all the conditions for your comfortable sleep, but it also has a minus – it is much heavier than a cocoon sleeping bag.
Modern fillers that are put in a sleeping bag
Now it became very rare to place a synthetic winterizer in sleeping bags. There are modern, warm and light materials that will make your sleep comfortable. Be sure to pay attention to the holofiber and thermofolt. These materials dry quickly near the fire or in strong winds. Also, they do not cry out for allergies.